MEGAN E. B. FOLDENAUER is an artist, board-certified medical/scientific illustrator, and anatomist based out of Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor, Michigan. She has several degrees:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts - The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Bachelor of Science - Eastern Michigan University
- Master of Arts - The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Dept. of Art as Applied to Medicine
- Doctor of Philosophy - Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Dept. of Anatomy & Cell Biology
HER WORK IS HIGHLY REPRESENTATIONAL AND DIVIDED BETWEEN:
- the scientific/medical topics illustrated for clients,
- the drawings & paintings of everyday (and often overlooked) small objects, and,
- large-format carbon dust portraiture.
HER WORK HAS APPEARED IN:
- Educational volumes published by:
- University Press, Wolters Kluwer Health, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Pearson Education, Academic Press
- University of Michigan, Johns Hopkins Hospital, University of Bergen (Norway)
- Popular media:
- Knock Knock, Men's Health, YouBeauty.com
- The City of Milwaukee
- Exhibitions & Fairs:
- Watercolor Exhibition Winner @ Fusion Art, online
- Figures & Faces - Exhibition Finalist @ Fusion Art, online
- Art Prize @ The Women's City Club, Grand Rapids, MI (a Top 25 finalist in the public time-based category!)
- Black & White Exhibition @ Riverside Art Center, Ypsilanti, MI
- Light & Shadow @ Fusion Art, online
- The 2016 Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, The Original in Ann Arbor, MI (a juried art fair)
- A Bout Face @ MICA, Lansing, MI - 1st Solo Exhibition! (see a virtual tour here)
- Art Prize @ The B.O.B., Grand Rapids, MI
- Face It @ OnSite:Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY
- Toys, Toys, Toys @ The Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, OH
- Silver Medal Exhibition @ The Scarab Club, Detroit, MI
- Art Prize @ The Mitten Brewing Company, Grand Rapids, MI
- Derwent Pencil Art Prize Competition in London, UK
- Women's Work (Portraits of 12 Scientific Illustrators from the 17th to 21st Century) @ Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering & Technology, Kansas City, MO
- Bugs, Blooms & Beasts @ The Scarab Club, Detroit, MI
- STILLEVEN @ The Carlson Tower Gallery, Chicago, IL
- Mighty Minis @ Ian Sherwin Gallery, Chicago, IL (news item here)
- Wings & Things @ The Laporte County Symphony Center, Laporte, IN
- Noteworthy @ The Laporte County Symphony Center, Laporte, IN
- La Petite XIII @ The Alder Gallery, Eugene, OR
- Thalmus (two-person exhibition) in Three Oaks, MI & Michigan City, IN
SHE ALSO LOVES TO TEACH:
- Workshops about scientific illustration:
- Illustrating Science: From Anatomy to Zoology @ The Ann Arbor District Library
- From Max to Macs (a retrospective of medical illustration) @ The Taubman Health Sciences Library, The University of Michigan
- The Biomedical Illustration Graduate Student Experience @ The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Courses in anatomy & physiology:
- Supplemental Instructor - Eastern Michigan University
- Visiting Instructor - Purdue University North Central
HER RESEARCH HAS BEEN PUBLISHED IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS:
Foldenauer ME, Jiang X, McClellan SA, Barrett RP, Hazlett LD. HGF signaling impacts severity of P. aeruginosa keratitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 55(4): 2180-2190, 2014.
Foldenauer ME, McClellan SA, Berger EA, Hazlett LD. mTOR regulates IL-10 and resistance to Pseudomonas aeruginosa corneal infection. J Immunol. 190(11): 5649-5658, 2013.
- Jiang X, McClellan SA, Barrett RP, Zhang Y, Foldenauer ME, Hazlett LD. The role of VIP in cornea. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 53(12): 7560-7566, 2012.
- Foldenauer ME, McClellan SA, Barrett RP, Zhang Y, Hazlett LD. Substance P affects growth factors in Pseudomonas aeruginosa-infected mouse cornea. Cornea. 31(10): 1176-1188, 2012.
AND, SHE LOVES TO VOLUNTEER HER TIME AS:
- A "citizen historian" for The United States Holocaust Museum's 'History Unfolded: US Newspapers and the Holocaust'.
- A digital volunteer in transcription services for The Smithsonian.
- Ex Officio, an official of The Ann Arbor Derby Dimes.
- A Salon Judge & Workshop Presenter for The Association of Medical Illustrators.
- A contributing artist in many charity art auction events.
- A Donation Center Volunteer for The American Red Cross.